This soup is sooo tasty!
- 1 cup raw wild rice
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (optional)
- 2 large or 3 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped or pulled roasted chicken
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp white wine (or 1 tbsp white wine vinegar)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish on top
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
To prepare wild rice, follow instructions on bag or box and set aside.
To prepare soup: In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add bay leaves and chicken stock. Increase heat to boiling then decrease heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add cooked wild rice, chicken, cream, white wine (or white wine vinegar), salt and pepper and thyme. Stir and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust accordingly. Ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley and almonds, and serve hot.
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe Source: Star-Telegram, March 1, 2019