Lots of flavor in this comforting dish. Starting with a base of egg noodles, followed by a meaty tomato sauce, seasonings, cheese and vegetables, it’s a winner! It all comes together very quickly and only needs about 20 minutes in the oven to heat through and melt the cheese on top. You’ll be counting the minutes until the timer goes off!
- 4 cups of dry egg noodles (I used No Yolks brand)
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 14 ounce can of diced Italian-style tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese divided in half (I used Monteray Jack)
Prepare egg noodles according to directions and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until almost done, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
Add the onion and green pepper to the skillet and cook about 4 minutes, then add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook 1 minute more.
Pour tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into the skillet, add salt and pepper to taste and cook together for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
Put the egg noodles in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the ground beef mixture on top. Add in the peas, carrots, corn and half of the cheese. Mix everything together thoroughly.
Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes in the oven, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
- You can assemble this recipe ahead of time the night before and pop it into the oven when you are ready to bake it.
Recipe Source: spaceshipsandlaserbeams.com/hamburger-casserole